Taking prednisone for COPD. Suggest alternative medicine

I have copd I got great relief, felt better than in years, taking prednisone but have been warned off of it. I am 75 and in good health but will have to cut my volunteering down due to shortness of breath without it. Can you suggest others meds please thanks so much
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
There are some good maintenance medications for COPD which may be of some benefit.

One is Advair which os an inhaled medication and might help to maintain you in a state where you feel less short of breath and fatigued.

Tiotropium is another inhaled medication which may be of benefit.

A set of baseline pulmonary function tests is always a good idea to get information on your true lung capacity.

Hopefully you will never need it but supplemental oxygen is sometimes the last solution to maintain good oxygen flow through the lungs. People do very well with portable oxygen tanks - again a consideration if all else fails.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Taking prednisone for COPD. Suggest alternative medicine 16 minutes later
Actually I have tried Advair with no result. I have not heard of Tiotroplum but will check with my doctor at me next appointment. Could I have your opinion of the inhaler that has cortisone. Thanks so much. I have had all e tests and have an oxygen meter that reads around 90. He gave me oxygen which seems to help at night but not during the day. Thanks thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
hello again and thank you for the follow-up.

I think in general it is beneficial for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease to have a mild steroid inhaler is part of a daily regimen. This helps to minimize inflammatory changes within the lungs. This might also help decrease the dependence that you might have on supplemental oxygen therapy. include any type of cortisone containing inhaler.

Advair comes in multiple dosages. I trust that you tried possibly even the highest dose without any significant improvement.

Tiotropium has been in use for a number of years. I think it would definitely be something that you should think about discussing with your doctor.

Thank you again for sending your question and sharing your health care concern.

Dr. Galamaga