What is the cause of vertigo?

ENT Specialist
I am not sure whether it is ENT or Neurology area. Three weeks back when I felt uneasy in early morning I got up and it was reeling swetting and nausea not able to walk with difficulty got in to bath room and I had a vomiting My Gastroenterology consultant said it is Vertigo and adviced to see neurologist. He confirmed it is Vertigo and opined it is viral afflection of the nerve and is like cold self limiting and prescribed Strugel With my little knowledge I felt to consult ENT and I was adviced Vertin 16 mg And conductedB/l epily It is receding but not totally free The episode of reeling is only when I get up from bed for some time The rest of the day I am normal Vertigo is a temporary phenomenon , what is the cause ? Does it indicate any nerve damage .? Is it caused because of postural imbalance of bed Does it need further investigation if so what tests
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: The cause for vertigo depends on the disease! Detailed Answer: Hello Vertigo, or in simple terms dizziness is a symptom and like many symptoms there are a number of causes for it!! In your case it is likely to be , what we call is BPPV or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo! although without examining you, I cannot tell you for sure! There can be a number of other causes also like low blood pressure, low hemoglobin , low/high blood sugars, visual disturbances or any medications which you maybe on! I would order for further tests like an audigram, blood sugar,hemoglobin level and a positional test called hallpike test. dont worry , these are simple tests and will not cause you much inconvenience. Your ENT surgeon will know about these test. You may want to go back to them and discuss about it. Thanks Take care