What is the cause of the recurring sore throat?

Gastroenterologist
Question
In March of this year I developed a sore throat on my right side (barely noticable when drinking or eating, primarily when dry swallowing). It seems to go in a cycle of good to bad, but never completely leaving. I have been to an ENT several times (once per month since April). I have tried nose sprays, antibiotics (three courses), and eventually had an MRI with nothing found. n In mid August I was prescribed Protonix for acid reflux and have been taking this daily. Suddenly the first two weeks of September I had absolutly no symptoms, but after 15 days they came back. The symptoms do not seem to be as bad as they were during the summer, but they have been consistent for the last 5 to 6 weeks.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
May I know what your question is?
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What is the cause of the recurring sore throat? 3 hours later
Good afternoon. Yes, I would like to find the cuase of the recurring sore throat as described above. I would like to also mention that I had my tonsils removed years ago. The symptoms are coming approximately from where my right tonsil used to be, possibly a bit further back and further down. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
One of the causes for recurrent sore throat is acid reflux disease.
Since you had some relief with Protonix , acid reflux disease is more likely.
It can be confirmed with a 24 hours pH monitoring test.

For complete relief the following should be done -

1. Protonix twice a day half an hour before food

2. Weight reduction if obese

3. Avoid coffee, alcohol, smoking, citrus, fatty food, tomatoes, carbonated beverages and spicy food.

4. Eat small frequent meals

5. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini