What is the cause of swollen and sore breasts? Side effect of medication for postherpetic neuralgia?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Swollen and sore breasts, what is the cause? I am wondering if it is a side effect of any of the medications I have been taking for postherpetic neuralgia?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Postherpetic neuralgia is common after herpes infection and pain relief is indicated as your doctor has rightly prescribed.

But your breast tenderness is due to side effects of a drug ‘metoclopramide’ which is basically an antiemetic used to control vomiting. So you guessed it right!

I'm not sure if you need to take it since vomiting is not your complaint. Sometimes analgesics do cause hyperactivity and gastritis, so some doctors prescribe an antacid and antiemetic beforehand along with analgesics. Minor side effects like some breast fullness or soreness will subside once you stop metoclopramide or complete the course of medication. It's nothing worrisome as such and does not require any additional treatment.

If your breast soreness is making you uncomfortable then please discuss with your doctor regarding stopping metoclopramide or using an alternative antiemetic like domperidone or ondansetron.

I do not encourage you to stop any medication on your own as your doctor is the best person to judge what to do in such a situation.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have any follow ups.