What is the cause of calf pain when on lipitor?

Nov 2013

I've had calf muscle pain for 4 wks., which I thought was a reaction to Lipitor, which I also Had in 2007. My internist thinks I have a neuromuscle disease, such as ALS, MS, MD. wants to do a muscle biopsy. blood test results not in yet, but he says the calf pain would be gone by now. What do you think could be the cause of calf pain? wants to do a muscle biopsy
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Can wait for muscle biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with your doctor that lipitor use in 2007 would not lead to calf pain and myalgia now in 2014. Usually, the symptoms of muscle pain stop within a few weeks of discontinuing lipitor. The more common causes of calf muscle pain are calcium deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, clotting of blood in calf veins, etc. Before going for a muscle biopsy, please get a blood test for serum CPK (elevated in any muscle disease) and electromyography-EMG test done (abnormal in muscle disease and ALS). Only if these tests are abnormal, you should undergo a muscle biopsy. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: