What is the cause for swollen lymph nodes and white spots on uvula?

Apr 2014

Hello, I have had a very sore throat for the last 24 hours. My lymph nodes are also a bit swollen. Throat feels dry and foods/beverages are irritating. I examined with flash light and there are 2 small white spots on uvula and a few on tonsils. I am a 50 year old male who is in very good health but had a few late nights and over imbibed a bit this past weekend. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Swollen lymph node is due to throat infection. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You are suffering from throat infection and it may be caused by virus or bacteria. Viral causes are only treated with rest, pain medication and other therapies aimed at relieving symptoms. Whereas bacterial cause need antibiotics. You need investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,throat swab culture and sensitivity. Lymph nodes are swollen due to throat infection.Lymph nodes are the draining sites so these get enlarged due to infection. Irritation is also due to infection. Infection can cause patch over the tonsils and oral cavity. You don't worry.Better you take antibiotics for throat infection. You can take combination tablet of amoxycillin 500 mg and potassium clavulanate 125 mg thrice daily for five days.You should also take probiotics along with amoxycillin. You can also take decongestants. You should also do gargle with warm salt water at least five times daily. You should take plenty of fluids and don't smoke if you are smoker. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX