What is the cause for premenstrual breast tenderness and light spotting?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I had my annual woman's exam on 11/26/2013 and the day after my breasts were extremely swollen and sore and I had light spotting, (which I know is normal). It is 2 weeks later and nothing has changed. My breasts are my main concern. I've also had some issues going to the bathroom since then and have been extremely moody. Crazy moody... I am not suppose to start my period until the 19th of this month so whatever happened during the exam threw me into this, I'm certain. What could be causing the pre-pre menstrual breast tenderness and the other hormonal issues just from an exam if I'm not pregnant?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Breast tenderness Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and I understand your concern as breast tenderness and swelling can be very uncomfortable. I am suspecting premenstrual syndrome in your case as the culprit for the breast tenderness rather than the routine examination. Premenstrual syndrome in many patients presents with breast tenderness, swelling, bloating , mood swings and these symptoms reduce immediately after the period or during the period. This is caused due to increase in estrogen and progesterone levels causing the breast tissue to swell and cause pain. This syndrome usually starts in the second half of the cycle and peaks just before the period. This kind of syndrome can be triggered by increased stress levels, estrogen only birth control pills, high fat diet and increased caffeine intake. I suggest the following tips: 1. Eat a low fat diet for the next week 2. Avoid coffee, tea or chocolate 3. Get some form of exercise which will elevate your mood 4. Decrease your salt intake to avoid water retention 5. Wear a comfortable bra If the pain increases you can take over the counter painkillers for relief. This pain will reduce after your menses or during your menses. So do not worry. If it does not reduce you need to get in touch with your gynecologist for a breast exam. I hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.