What is the cause for feeling slight pulse in neck?

Excellent

Question
For the first time this morning, when I hopped out of bed and leaned over the sink to brush my teeth, I noticed a slight pulse (like a little pulsating line) in the right side of my neck. It went away when I stood up straight but was noticeable when I leaned back over. I don't see it now and it was 'small and thin' and I didn't 'feel anything'. No visible veins or enlarged veins in neck. BP runs 126/74. Weight is around 135. EKG (prior to colonoscopy) on Dec. 16th was excellent. Age 63 female with thin skin and sagging neck. Prior to colonoscopy, had a check up with internest/ gastro who listened to my neck with his stethoscope. Cardio doc actually stuck his head inside curtain after checking my EKG and said my EKG was that of a woman 'half my age'. Only med is Clonopin for anxiety. HORRIBLE hypchondriac.
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: This looks like change is blood pressure on sudden change in position . This is doesn't seem to arise any particular concern as recent ekg was normal. I think you should not worry about this and just mention it your doctor when you visit him./her next time please ask if there are doubts. Regards

Follow-up: What is the cause for feeling slight pulse in neck? 21 minutes later
When I lie flat on my back and press fingers in the area where neck pulse is found, I can see the pulse (with a mirror). I do not see it when standing up and touching that area. Again, thin skin, sagging neck and aging skin as seen in photos. I had just gotten out of bed and immediately went in to brush my teeth. BP is always good and cardio actually said 'You should call your primary and make sure he knows' ...... about that EKG..... with a big smile. HORRIBLE hypochondria and general anxiety.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: This a is postural thing and last for few moments only when body position is changed. Unlike young people body is unable to redirect blood so such momentary pulse felt in cartoid/neck vessels. Other times your blood pressure and ekg are normal without any symptoms. Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards

Follow-up: What is the cause for feeling slight pulse in neck? 21 hours later
I noticed it again this morning but had gone directly to the mirror to check for it. Again, slight pulse visible and only noticeable when I leaned forward (neck skin really shows my age). It lasted for about 10 minutes but my anxiety had kicked immediately. Once I calmed down and got to my regular routine, I looked again and it was gone. Due to my age and thin skin, small body size, XXXXXXX waddle neck, is this something I might start to see all the time as I get even older? Thank you for being so kind in your answers. After colon cancer and then a tiny met to my liver (hepatic resection Apr. 2012 with no need for follow up chemo), I have become a constant and horrible hypochondriac. Every day there is a 'disease of the day' with me. Clonopin helps but I tend to see a doctor almost weekly now for some 'concern'.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: I can understand your concern. Please don't worry about this jumping carotid. These are common at your age and should not cause any concern. So letit be. Just mention it your doctor when you visit him./her for other reasons. Please don't worry about this. It is not something serious to be treated. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards