What is the cause and treatment of degenerative disc disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I felt severe backpain, due to S1/S4 disk impact (I can't able to mentinoed exact problem with report., Hence, I don't have report in my hand right now). My right leg fully severe pain and (marutha mathiri feeling). Please help me..I want to meet one specialist for Neurologist(Physician) .please give your number or appointment.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be due to disc prolapse. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination. Meanwhile you can follow these measures: - If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves. - Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments. - While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you. - Avoid lifting heavy objects. - Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises daily as advised by a Physiotherapist. - Avoid exercises in times of pain. - Improvise your posture while sitting. - Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. Physiotherapy plays a major role in treating such conditions. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment of degenerative disc disease? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your inputs Sir. IT s very helpful for me..however, i will consult with one of the Ortho specilist in chennai and get the inputs. * Previously I have taken traction with the help of Physiotherapist. But no use. now i felt my right leg completely got severe pain with little bit feelingness.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Traction can help you. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Lumbar traction can help you now also for a short term. Regular exercise is needed for a sustained relief. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment of degenerative disc disease? 20 hours later
Sir, thanks for your inputs. however I mentioned my MRI report as below: Desc dessication at L5/S1 Level. Circumferential disc bulge with Postero central disc protrusion at L5/S1 level causing ventral thecal sac compression and bilateral descending S1 nerve root impingement. Entire length of spinal cord is uniform in girth and normal in MR signals with no evidence of compressive myeolopathy. My Current Helath condition: I felt severe non-stop left leg pain from spinal cord to footpath and slight feeligness(tamil-marathu pothal) for entire leg. I have taken so many madicines and injections with advise general doctos. there is use. However, yesterday I consult with one ortho specialist, he advised me to take operations for the review of above mentioned report. Please help us to provide your adivse and try to give any medicines (Tablets) relieve my leg pain immediately.
Brief Answer: may need surgery. Detailed Answer: Hello. The pain is due to S1 nerve root impingement. This can be completely relieved only with surgery. For short term relief lumbar traction and muscle relaxants like mahagesic mr can help you. You can take these after proper examination from an orthopedician. Taking additional methylcobalamin supplements will also help. Take absolute bed rest till the pain subsides. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment of degenerative disc disease? 10 minutes later
Thank you very much sir..I will consult with Ortho specialyst. One small queuer..Can i consult with any Neuro physicians for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello. You can also consult a neurophysician. But sometimes a surgical intervention is needed if the acute pain is persistent. Consulting a neurosurgeon will be more appropriate. Regards.