What is the cause and treatment for recurring pigmentation near perioral region?

Dermatologist
Question
Sir , i developed black pigmentation over neck one year back and later to face . was diagnosed as LP pigmentosis. took zempred for 2 months on XXXXXXX july month and den continued with three topical ointments .melaglow, britenite, tretinon . but again pigmentation came near perioral region and doctor prescribed goutnil drug. sir any sideeffects for that drug? i m unmarried right now. will it cause any pbm in future? any other treatment modalities i shd see?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: azathioprine Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. Lichen pigmentosus is an auto immune disorder. Cholchicine ( gout nil) is an immune suppressant drug hence can be beneficial for you, but it has side effects too. It can cause gastric bleed. I think other immune suppressant like azathioprine will be better for you. Discuss this with your treating doctor. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for recurring pigmentation near perioral region? 12 minutes later
Sir will des pigmentation will go and will I get my skin color back? Wat all treatment options der for LP pigmentosis? Any malignant potential s der for dis disease?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Non malignant Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. As I mentioned it is an autoimmune disorder, hence permanent cure is difficult. However with immunosuppresants it can be controlled and the pigmentatiuon can be removed. There are chances disease may flare up in between. Dont worry there is no risk of malignant potential. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you