What is the cause and treatment for crack at the side of mouth corner?

Hi, I have been having issues with reappearance of crack at the right side of mouth corner. Could you advise on natural way to treat this? What are the potential causes? I have been taking multivatim, can it be caused by vitamin B defficiency?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is probably due to Vitamin B complex deficiency Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. The symptoms suggest that you are suffering from a condition called angular Cheilosis, an inflammatory condition of one corner of the mouth. The possible causes are Vitamin B (Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic Acid, Biotin and B12) deficiency, yeast (fungal) infection or a latest angular herpes simplex infection causing recurrent cracks at the angle of the mouth. Incidentally, the commonest cause of angular Cheilosis in India is Vitamin B deficiency. I would therefore recommend the following course of action:- 1. Take overdose of Vitamin B Complex, one capsule/tablet thrice daily + Tab Folic Acid 5mg/day + Vitamin B12 1500micrograms/day for a month or so. This is because almost all Vitamin preparations available in the market, contain only supplement doses of vitamins. 2. Simultaneously, get a scrapping from the lesion analyzed in the Pathological laboratory, to identify and isolate the causative organism. Thereafter, specific treatment for the causative organism (yeast or bacteria) will cure the condition. 3. Also, get tested for herpes simplex virus infection. If positive, a 10 days' course of anti-viral drug will cure the lesion. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for crack at the side of mouth corner? 13 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr. Karanwal.. with regard to multivitamins, you mean that even though they state the required daily dosages of the vitamin B, I shoul dstill take a separate vitamin as there is more chance it will be absorbed correct? I did have recently herpes oral infection that lasted for about 6 days and then it was gone, it also happened around 3 months ago for a week. For the past 4 months due to move to another city with worse ecology, I had two outbreaks of oral herpes. before last time I had it was a year ago or so... and before I had it 5 or 6 years ago. I am surprised it started becoming more frequent. Besides vitamin defficiency, can it be related to ecology? (presence of serum in the air due to oil reserves, and oil refinery built in the city... ?) also, quality of water is very bad.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lesion r due to chronic herpes simplex infection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, The Brands of multi-vitamins in the market contain very low doses of vitamins, sufficient to supplement the inadequate amounts of vitamins (if any) in the diet. But, in vitamin deficiency, very high doses of vitamins are required to not only to correct the deficiency, but also to fill up the body's depleted reserves of vitamins. The entire amount of ingested vitamins are absorbed, whenever there is deficiency. You have a chronic herpes infection, in which the viruses remain in the nerves and, time and again, become active to produce oral lesions. THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT for chronic herpes infection. However, herpes infection invariably gets cured ON ITS OWN, after a few years. There is therefore, NO ROLE of anti-viral drugs to kill herpes viruses. Polluted water, environmental pollutants or gases have no role in flare ups. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal