What is the cause and treatment for alopecia aerata?

Just today I noticed a perfectly smoothe bald spot thr circumpfrance of an egg but slightly more round. I do not have ring worm or any redness raised skin or infection In fact it is super baby type skin soft with not even peach fuzz luckily it is down on my left side on my lower scalp/close to the nape moving op word. I have not been sick am not around animals have not introduced new foods BUT I am going through pre XXXXXXX pause ans had a sad few hours with tears last night then only founf it my chance whie comimg my med length natural brown curly hair. I am 49 years young and it was almost like ' Om gosh some one came and shaved a perfect circle without my knowing and its smothe skin not stubble,no redness or flakey not itchy or compfortable in any way.I was very stressed with boughts of crying and tears for hours then fell asleep and only noticed it today. I am married and kids are grown and gone. I am 49 years old caucasion No one in my family has any of these symptoms maybe I need to go on a pill to regulate my hormones for a while. I do feel the ups and downs of emotions rather strongly during what use to be called PMS but 1/2 the time the period doesn't arrive? Normal weight good health and blood pressure, exersize daily and eat god foods by choice. Should I consider getting my Thyroid checked and or pituitary gland or just try 'the pill for a few monthes to get me throughthe "change"? I am married and we both have no sexually transmitted diseases aids or other things very healthy. rarely get cold or flu, have not XXXXXXX run down. So I am thonking it HORMONS "out of whack"?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: alopecia aerata Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Charu. I will try my best to solve your query. As per details, it seems you are having a skin condition called ALOPECIA AERATA. It is an autoimmune disease characterised by a circumscribed patch of hair loss with smooth skin, no redness , no itch. It is perfectly going in favor of your details. Its not communicable, its not related to any hormonal disturbances. And believe me, its the simplest thing to treat. I usually give intralesional steroid injections 3 weekly in the patch of hair loss. Consideration is given to start other medications like oral levamisole or oral steroids in reluctant cases. I will advice you to consult your dermatologist so that the treatment can be started in time. I hope , she/he will agree with my opinio. You need not to worry so much for this condition, its just timely intervention is required for early results. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you do not have further query, you may close the discussion and rate it. And you are always welcome to ask anything to me. Stay healthy.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for alopecia aerata? 13 minutes later
Forgot to mention that maybe Homone replacements would alleviate some of my mood swings. However the REAL mystery is overnight the smoothe skin circle of hair GONE. I have very normal skin no acne no excess oi; and no extra dry either Thank you can you tell me why it would happen overnight and what is the reson for this auto immune desease to strike a healthy person? Some underlining cause? Just text book normal Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome again. Yes definitely hormone replacements would alleviate your mood swing problem. Autoimmune diseases have no reason per se. They can spontaneously start anytime. Nothing to worry about. Its just that some antibodies are formed again the cells which are forming our hair leading to a patch of hair loss. It can occur overnight. But more often the chances are that it goes unnoticed and when one notices it, its already a well formed patch. I will like to assure you that it will very well respond to course of intralesional steroids. I hope i am able to solve your query. Thanx