What is the cause and treatment for Bartholin's abscess?

I have a bartolino abscess after a barsupializarion i have done 2 years, my gunecoogist said to take antibiotics and addressed me to surgeon gynecologist. Do yiu think i can have someting more than an abscess, like a malign cist?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not malignant. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva). If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences. It is a benign swelling of the gland and is not related to any malignancy. However a biopsy of the removed cyst will help in confirmation. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL