What is the bump on the back of my neck ?

Hello thank you for your time. I am a little concerned. My boyfriend had a blow to the back of his neck about 5 years ago. There has been a bump eversince. Recently around the area he's been experiencing sharp pain and when pressing on actual bump it's s little sore. People tell him it's fatty tissue?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later

A bump which developed five years ago after a blow may be a chronic hematoma; but that usually resolves in such a long time.

Other possibilities are a sebaceous cyst (blocked infected sebaceous gland which has now become inflamed) or a lipoma( a benign collection of fat cells).

Whatever the case is now that there is pain and discomfort, it needs attention. Proper examination is an integral part of the diagnosis of such lumps to see their mobility, adherence to skin , extensions, etc.

My advise would be to get the lump examined by your surgeon for diagnosis so that early treatment can be given.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.