What is irritable bowel syndrome ?

I have been sick for over 25 years, severe swelling all over my body, the only thing that seems to work is when I don't eat during the day and eat a little in the evening, I've tried Candida diets, gluten free diets and have been diagnosed with several food intolerances, including Candida and Gluten intolerance. No one seems to be able to help me, both my Mother and Grandmother had diverticulitis and all seems to stem from eating in general...stomach pains, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, rashes, yeast infections, ringing in the ears, the swelling is the worst, it feels awful, my stomach can look like I'm pregnant. I am scheduled to see a gastroentologist and was wondering if you had any idea of what this might be....I have done everything and feel that I am only existing...not living.....please help if you can......thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Follow-up: What is irritable bowel syndrome ? 14 minutes later
I also forgot to mention I had a total hysterectomy when I was 30 because they thought it was my ovaries and uterus...they were wrong, this has been going on since I was 18.........
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms that you have mentioned a few possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     The possibility of irritable bowel syndrome is important to be ruled out. It is characterized by mild to severe abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating and alteration of bowel habits like alternate constipation and loose stools. For ruling out the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome, you have to consult a gastroenterologist as it can be a very difficult diagnosis to make. IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that your doctor has to rule out other possibilities first.

2)     Second possibility is of gluten enteropathy or celiac disease. It is an autoimmune inflammatory disease of the small intestine that is precipitated by the ingestion of gluten. Serologic tests for antibodies against endomysium, transglutaminase, and gliadin identify most patients with the disease. IgA antiendomysial antibody has been quite sensitive in diagnosing this condition. Distal duodenal biopsy is the gold standard for the diagnosis of celiac disease.

3)     Ringing of ears is called tinnitus and can be due to noise pollution throughout the day, ear wax, fluid, infection, disease of the middle ear bones or ear drum, advancing age, diseases of the inner ear and damage to the nerve in the inner ear.

So please discuss these possibilities with your gastroenterologist and get them ruled out.

Till that time, make some lifestyle changes. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like green leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods. Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, deep breathing exercises which help in preventing constipation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.