Hold bowel movement for long time and lost bowels. Is it symptoms of IBS?

General Surgeon
hello. i am 23 and am a male. i doubt i have irritable bowel syndrome. i lost my bowels 4 times for the past 6 years and i have no other symptoms. and 2 of them recently in the past 6 months.i want to know is that really ibs because i hold it for a long time for about 30 minutes and due to unavailability of washroom i lost my bowels. please clarify me because am feeling very embarrassed and am unable to discuss with anyone.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later

I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

Your problem may not be related to the due to holding of bowel movements for long time due to non availability of suitable wash room, which results in the stool becoming hard at the anus and thus after a day or two of this incontinence of fecal matters may occur.

To overcome this I would suggest you not to hold your bowel for long and ease yourself the moment you get an urge.

Apart from this, a high roughage diet and plenty of liquids may also help you in regulating your bowel movements more naturally without any further medications.

Hope I have replied to your query. However, if you have got any further query, please do not hesitate to ask.

I wish you an early recovery. Thanks.
Follow-up: Hold bowel movement for long time and lost bowels. Is it symptoms of IBS? 2 days later
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have one more question. I have urgency sometimes (something like once in two months). Is that common to have urgency sometimes?
And whenever I have cheese items I go to washroom within 30 minutes I eat that (actually this happens when I go to a restaurant named Olive gardens where all items are mostly made of lot of cheese). What may be the reason for this.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Hi ! Thank you for your response.

Yes, sometimes it is natural to have urgency and once in two months is not a significant one.

Few persons may have allergy/intolerance to some of the constituents of the food they eat. Examples are lactose intolerance in milk products and gluten enteropathy. If you have noticed that you get the symptoms with a particular variety of food, it is wiser to avoid it.

However, you may go for a stool test to exclude any intestinal infection like amebiasis which is very common. You may consult your family physician for the medicinal management if positive, and this will also relieve your symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. You may respond back in case of any fresh doubt, otherwise you may rate the answer and close the discussion.

Wishing you all the best. Thanks.
Follow-up: Hold bowel movement for long time and lost bowels. Is it symptoms of IBS? 1 hour later
Thank you and could I know what to do for healthy bowel movements.
I mean how many bowels movements should we have every day.
And good healthy habits for bowel movements.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 8 hours later
Hi ! You have a asked a good question.

One has to give attention to his dietary habits first. High fibre diet (fresh vegetables and fruits) along with a lot of liquids usually result in good bowel movements. High protein diet and fast fat containing food may give rise to constipation.

The number of normal bowel movements usually vary from person to person. It may be once or maximum twice per day. Some people get bowel movements at intervals of one or two days. So, there is no such fixed rule for this.

Apart from consuming high fibre diet and liquids, regular active exercises may also help you in regulating your bowel movements. Sedentary people may get more into constipating bowel habits. In summary, your life style may decide your bowel actions.

I hope this will encourage you to modify your daily routine upto maximum possible extent for having a regular bowel habit. Good luck and thanks.