What is best treatment for dry hair and severe hair fall?

Hey.. I have been having severe hair fall. I do not have dandruff but have dry hair.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Diffuse hair fall : Proper treatment and diet Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now your problem is that of hair fall. Hair fall can occur due to many causes. It can occur due to anemia, malnutrition, stress, following any major illness or surgery, in thyroid diseases, following pregnancy and due to innumerable other causes. As far as the treatment of the same is concerned, first of all you need to be patient. Any treatment that we start has to be continued for atleast three months before complete results can be seen. You should start application of a topical steroid lotion containing beclomethasone at the root of hair once a day. Go addition, use topical minoxidil two percent lotion once a day. You can use one of these in the morning and the other at night. Since you do not have dandruff, you can the box shampoo twice a week. For dandruff, you can use any conditioner following hair wash. In addition, take oral biotin 10 mg tablet once a day. Also take a diet rich in biotin which includes eggs, pulses, carrots and nuts. Also get a hemoglobin and thyroid profile done if you have a long history of hair fall. You need to continue the above treatment for atleast three months. Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: What is best treatment for dry hair and severe hair fall? 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your reply. I do not want to have any medicines for hair fall. The suggestion you gave regarding having nuts, carrots etc is something i liked. But I'm sorry taking medicines for this problem, I would not be able to do it. If you have any other suggestions then please let me know. Thanks XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Excess hair fall : Home remedies Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I do understand that it is difficult to take so many medicines especially the application of medicines can be quite messy at times. It is good that you are ready for the diet modifications. But still I would recommend that you take atleast a single tablet of biotin once a day everyday. This will help in strengthening the hair protein from inside. Other than this, taking a diet rich in green leafy vegetables, eggs and pulses will surely help. You can skip the topical drugs for the moment. But I would surely advise you to get a hemoglobin and a thyroid profile done as many times it is important to find out the cause of the hair fall. As far as the use of hair oil is concerned, you can use any almond or olive hair oil . Apply it to the hair atleast an hour before washing hair. Leaving oil on hair overnight has been found to give no additional benefits. You should also follow up hair wash with a hair conditioner everytime in order to prevent excess drying. Using green XXXXXXX can additionally be of benefit in smoothing the hair. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.