What is an appropriate healthy body fat percentage for a 54 year old female, 5'8" 160lbs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
What is an appropriate or healthy body fat % for a 54 year old female, 5'8" 160lbs? What are some ways to decrease body fat?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please send your waist measurement Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. To calculate your body fat percentage may I request you to please send in your waist measurement. It is one of the variables on which fat percent is calculated. The average woman at your age might gave fat percentage from 23% to 30%. It is a range and the above range is desirable. Fat can be decreased by increasing metabolism through regular fitness activities under supervision and by balancing your diet adequately with nutrients and going on a low fat diet. You may have to add more fresh fruits and vegetables to your daily intake of foods. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What is an appropriate healthy body fat percentage for a 54 year old female, 5'8" 160lbs? 10 hours later
My waist measurement is 31. I am a walker/runner, but can not get my body fat under 29/30.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your fat percentage is 32 Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing back to us. Your fat percentage is 32% and can be considered at upper limits of normal. You need to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity at least 3 to 4 times a week. If you can do everyday that will be great. Your diet plans needs to contain essential nutrients in balanced quantities. You may plan a diet with a dietitian and follow is as much possible. A complete general medical health check up may be done to know your all round health and if you have any medical condition that needs attention. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek