What is a sharp stabbing pain in my back when i sneeze?

I keep getting a cramp type in top left side of my back occasionally when I sneeze, breathe cough it's quite a sharp stabbing pain I've had a X-ray and chest n lungs all clear
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prolapse of the disc Detailed Answer: Hi You are giving a typical picture of a intervertebral disc bulge whenever you cough or sneeze. The disc is pushing out the ligaments that it is contained with in. The disc bulge is impinging on the nerves that pass through that part of the spine. These nerves will supply the muscles around that part of the back causing a spasm / cramp. This disc would most often gets back into its place in young people. However in people who have recurrences you need to get an MRI of the spine after careful examination by the spine surgeon. Hope this helps you taking the next step by asking your GP for a referral to spine surgeon.