What is a protein kidney stone?

Exactly what is a protein kidney stone? I have had several bouts of kidney stones that I passed within the past year. Last week, I finally strained my urine when I felt a stone coming. When the stone was analyzed, my PA said that is didn't appear to be a stone. The result was "Protein". It sure looked like a small stone. I have an appt. with my urologist next week, since the PA asked me to follow up. Also, some leukocytes in urine sample and moderate blood. But urine was clear
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Stones from over a NIDUS. It is composed of protein and that is what the analysis would have meant.
The evaluation includes
1.Urine analysis- 24 hours sample to look at daily total excretion of oxalate, calcium and uric acid.
2. Serum calcium, uric acid levels and of course renal function tests.
3. Ultrasound can top look at the urinary tract for stones and kidney swelling.
Based on the results, specific treatment needs to be started.
Till then,
1. Plenty of oral fluids.
2. Red meat restriction should help.
Best regards