What is Osteoponia and how can I overcome this problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello doctor, My age 38 years (F) My health profile checked on 29/12/2013 is as follows :- Height : 157 cms Weight ; 69 kgs B.P – 120/70 Random Blood Sugar : 148 mg/ dl Bone Quality Index : 81.7 (with remarks as Osteopenic . ) T score : - 1.4 Please advise what is Osteoponic and how can I overcome this problem.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Decreased density of bone Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Osteopenia means decreased density of bone, which leads to bone weakening and an increased risk of breaking a bone (fracture). To overcome this take an adequate daily intake of calcium and vitamin D. If dietary intake is not adequate, then supplements may be prescribed. Lifestyle modifications are an important part of the prevention and treatment. These lifestyle changes include weight-bearing exercise (for example, walking or lifting weights). I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What is Osteoponia and how can I overcome this problem? 15 minutes later
Thanks for your valuable suggestion, Calcium intake in the form of milk , Calcium Sandoz tablets would be ok or would u recommend something else? vit . D - fruits consumptions is ok. ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Milk and milk products Detailed Answer: Hi, For calcium intake, you can take milk and milk products. You can continue taking calcium Sandoz tablets. For vit D take proper sunlight exposure.