What is Ischaemic Neuropathy?

Hello Ihave type 2 diabetes & have vascular problems ie blocked artery in my right leg. The consultant also said I was suffering from Ischaemic Neuropathy. Does this relate to my optical nerve or does this relate to peripheral neuropathy. I can ony find reference to optical nerve damage re ischaemic neuropathy
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely peripheral Detailed Answer: The answer depends on which type of consultant you saw. It seems you likely saw a vascular surgeon or an interventional cardiologist, or possibly even an endocrinologist or neurologist. However, if you saw an ophthalmologist then (s)he was likely referring to the optic nerve, but you would have been told categorically about this. Whichever consultant evaluated your feet would likely have performed a comprehensive foot exam that entails assessment of the vascular and neurological status. There are ways to ascertain if you have peripheral neuropathy or not, just like you have been diagnosed with PVD. Often a physical examination reveals whether or not neuropathy is present