What is Glomerular Filteration Rate?

Hello, I recently had foot detox at a spa facility. The out come was my water turned yellow, indicating (according to the staff there) I may have kidney issues? I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. No, problems that I'm aware of with my kidneys however I'd like to learn what my GFR is?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: GFR is glomerular filtration rate Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern. I personally dont think that you might be suffering from any kidney disease. You dont have any longstanding illness like Diabetes Mellitus or Hypertension , which can predispose you to renal disease. Renal diseases manifest with decreased urine output,pedal edema, breathlessness,uraemic symptoms like nausea , vomiting or loss of appetite etc. In case you are having good urine output , normal appetite and no abdominal complaints, you should not worry. GFR is Glomerular Filteration Rate . It can be calculated by simple equation. It takes into account your age, sex, weight and Serum Creatinine levels. CrCl (male) = ([140-age] × weight in kg)/(serum creatinine × 72) CrCl (female) = CrCl (male) × 0.85 You dont need to worry , if your GFR is above >90 mL/min/1.73 m2. Hope it helps. . Dr. Kavita Paul
Follow-up: What is Glomerular Filteration Rate? 24 minutes later
I appreciate your reply. Are you familiar with the foot detox I referenced? On occasion I have breathlessness after ascending stairs? May or may not be related? I had a stress test two years ago, it was normal for my age and condition. I have abdominal discomfort as it relates to PMS? As far as I know? I believe in preventive health care because too often when "we" become aware of health issues, its often too late? How can I go about having my kidneys checked just for my peace of mind? Do I need a script of some sort?
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Get your renal function tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes i have heard about these detox spas. Personally i dont really believe in them and i give same advisce to my patient, though i do believe that they work on some theory In case you want your kidney examination you can get your Renal Function Tests ,serum uric acid levels , serum electrolytes and complete urine examination along with ultrasound for Kidney size etc. Your local physician will know about this test. If your local doctor doesn't know, he/she can refer you to the specialist who knows about it. Drink plenty of fluids and maintain good hydration. Hope its helpful. Dr. Kavita Paul