What does trivial mitral regurgitation and trivial tricuspid regurgitation mean?

I just had an EKG done last week and an echo stress test done yesterday. They showed that the left atrium is mildly dilated and i have trivial mitral regurgitation and trivial tricuspid regurgitation. I went to my doctor in the first place for palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath and chronic headaches as well as fatigue. Can you let me know what all this might mean. I am a 42 year old female, smoker.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Echo result insignificant, needs other test done. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Trivial means little importance or insignificant. Tricuspid regurgitation is a disorder in which the heart's tricuspid valve does not close properly, causing blood to flow backward (leak) into the right upper heart chamber (atrium) when the right lower heart chamber (ventricle) contracts. Many people has tricuspid regurgitation. It's normal. Nearly everyone also has some degree, usually mild, of mitral regurgitation. The issue comes when either is severe. As in ECHO regurgitation is trivial , its insignificant. mildly dilated atrium could be due to extra flow of blood to atruim due to regurgitation, If a patient comes to me with these symptom first i would like do physical examination for presence of any Pulse, BP, edema in lower limb, heart sounds, chest sounds, Neck veins.Then like to get ECG, Cardiac enzymes and chest x-ray to find out cause in the order of priority: Angina Pulmonary embolism Panic attacks Myocardial ischemia. Pneumonia As your ECHO stress test showing trivial regurgitation, your symptom are not due to these changes. Get cardiac enzymes test and chest x-ray done to see for any pulmonary vascular changes and infection in lungs. Try to stop smoking, as its a major risk factor for many cardiac and vascular problems. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related query. I will be glade to answer them. Wish you a good health. Regards