What does "suture hardware in situ at left frontal bone level" indicate?

Neurologist, Surgical
I need a neuro surgeon please tell me if it is normal to have a left over suture hardware after 20 months of craniotomy. The family physician checked up bp and got it under control even antibiotic drops for the ear were given but the creepy crawly feeling of something moving nearby the ear is still persistant.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 18 hours later
Brief Answer: post craniotomy suture nothing to worry Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello I have gone through your medical history in detail .along with CT SCAN report showing suture hardware in situ at left frontal bone level. In my opinion there is nothing much to worry about as the suture normally seen in ct scan head looks to be a metallic wire (which is normally used to hold the craniotomy bone ). This wire remains inside skull . No need to remove this . You can also confirm it with your neurosurgeon. The creepy crawling feeling of something moving in your head is not because of these sutures . I normally advice some ANXIOLYTICS/ ANTIDEPRESSANTS to my patients with these symptoms . Hope this answers your querries Wishing you a speedy recovery Thanx Dr Praveen k Nath Director Deptt. of neurosurgery
Follow-up: What does "suture hardware in situ at left frontal bone level" indicate? 21 minutes later
Sir I do understand what you are explaining but I am unable to bear the torture of that feeling sometimes. I wake up sitting and scratching my left side of my ear or above. Whst about the other two notes in my C T . Do they bear no reason for any worry. If you tell me the truth as it is I am fine because I am a strong person.If I am writing after so much surgery you will understand.also I have small trigerrs nearby my mouth by which I am not able to smile much. How does it impact my life cause i hsve a shop to run and work to do
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: crawling sensation in brain needs medicines Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello Sutures holding the craniotomy bone in situ are not to be worried about Pineal calcification mentioned in CT SCAN is a normal phenomenon .nothing needs to be done . Cortical atrophy mentioned in CT SCAN brain needs medications like LEVIPIL/OXETOL etc which you are already taking . For crawling sensation in head & mouth you need to take anxiolytics /antidepressants OR you can take a neuropsychiatric consultation Thanx Dr Praveen k Nath
Follow-up: What does "suture hardware in situ at left frontal bone level" indicate? 26 minutes later
ok sir thank you so much for your help. I am sure now that I have nothing to worry and that my surgeon could not have idiotically bungled it up. the thought kept crossibg my brain so many times because I had taken an MRI report in April 2013 in which nothing was said about any suture eeen ws such. My question in the brain was if I had a hardware now it should hadve been seen then too then why no mention of it earlier
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 25 hours later
Brief Answer: metallic suture occasionally not seen on MRI Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello Your concern is genuine that old MRI BRAIN is not showing any suture hardware . ACTUALLY speaking MRI doesn.t pick up BONY/METALLIC things accurately . Bone in mri is normally seen as FLOW VOIDS & metallic things are seen as artefacts on mri . hence it might have missed the attention. These things are better seen on ct scans . You can show this CT SCAN images to MRI radiologist & ask his opinion also to clarify . I hope this answers your querry My best wishes for a speedy recovery Thanx Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX