What does small soft lump at the anus edge indicate?

Hello Doctor, I have a small soft lump at the endge of my anus which is hurting when I rub it, I have a photo of it which can help in identifying it, any suggestion is helpful.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question with images. The bump looks very suspicious for a hemorrhoid. These can be tender when aggrevated, either by hard bowel movements or manual manipulation. Hemorrhoids can be improved with soaking in a warm bath for 15min a few times a day, by using over the counter ointments, and by keeping bowel movements soft (with good fiber content in diet and plenty of water). Of course, only a physical examination by a doctor can difinitively diagnose this condition. If you experience worsening symptoms, please see a doctor for assessment. I hope this helps and thanks again for submitting your question. Take care, Dr G
Follow-up: What does small soft lump at the anus edge indicate? 4 minutes later
Thank you for the diagnosis doctor, can you tell me how long it takes to usually let this heal if it is a hemorrhoid as you suspect ? And can i leave it without treatment and expect it to heal naturally?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for your follow-up question. Hemorrhoids usually take a few weeks to heal, depending on how well the area is allowed to heal--by keeping bowel movements soft, not straining during bowel movemts or during intense physical exercise, and by taking soaks in warm bath water. Hemorrhoids are very common and usually do not require much medical intervention if they do not cause significant symptoms. Thanks again, Dr G