What does serum creatinine of 1.4 indicate?

My son is 16 years. He has creatinine 1.4 with a abdomen ultrasound showing normal kidneys in size. Bilateral cortical echoes are increased r
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 11 hours later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi Thank you for sending in your query. Your son has serum creatinine of 1.4. This is higher than the reference range of most laboratories. He also has trace protein in urine and altered echogenicity of both the kidneys on USG. These three things point towards an early kidney disease. Majority of patients with early kidney disease have no symptoms. While this is not something to get panicked about, I would advise a consultation with a nephrologist. He/She can do a detailed physical examination and advise a few more tests to confirm the diagnosis and find out the etiology. Once we have the results we can advise precautionary measures in terms of diet, avoiding nephrotoxic medications and other treatments. I hope this was helpful I will be happy to provide answers to any other questions. Regards Dr Bhabhe