What does pelvic ultrasound showing endometrium 10mm indicate?

Mar 2013
I recently had a pelvic ultrasound which showed my endometrium 10mm. I am 66. I had a ct scan done last XXXXXXX and it said my uterus was 'unremarkable'. Can I feel safe that this is not cancer? I am scheduled for a biopsy in three days. Endometrial cancer runs in my family (2 sisters, one aunt).
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DEPENDS ON BIOPSY RESULTS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. See basically, after menopause, the cut off for the endometrial thickness is 4 mm. 10 mm is definitely thick. It could be just simple endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ) due to hormonal imbalance. However, you have a high family history of endometrial cancer, so calling you ' safe ' is something that can be done only after knowing the results of the biopsy. The biopsy will classify the type of hyperplasia, and then the risk of malignancy can be known. Certain types are associated with a high risk of transformation into cancer, and certain types are not. As the uterus was ' unremarkable ', yes, we can assume to a certain extent that this is not cancer right now. However, what type of hyperplasia it is, greatly prognosticates your future chance of developing endometrial hyperplasia. I would ask you to wait until the biopsy results are in hand. PLease do upload the report so I can guide you accordingly. Being overweight, smoking, having diabetes - these can significantly up your chances of having endometrial cancer, these are variables you can always modify with your diet and lifestyle. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.