What does my semen analysis readings indicates?

Question
hi doctor . my semen analysis readings are as below: total sperm count : 35 million/ml. active: 50, sluggish: 20, non motile: 30, normal form: 70. pus cells: 8-10 /hpf. red blood cells: 1-2/hpf. epithelial cells: 1-2/hpf. is the report normal?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Report indicates SEMEN INFECTION Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Your sperm count and motility is absolutely normal, but there are pus cells and red blood cells which signify that there could be some amount of infection. In this situation I usually give a course of antibiotics like Ofloxacin and antioxident tablets for my patients and repeat the semen analysis after 2 months. Best will be to do SEMEN CULTURE and giving appropriate antibiotics depending on the organism grown. Usually infection leads to decreased sperm motility, hence once the infection is treated even the motility will improve. Kindly visit your doctor for a prescription. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What does my semen analysis readings indicates? 30 minutes later
thanks doctor. we are planning for a baby. should i wait till the infection is completely cleared?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the follow up question. You need not wait if you are planning for a natural conception, but certainly you need to wait if you are planning for IUI (intra uterine insemination). Kindly revert back with few more questions so that I can guide you further: since how long you are married? what is your wife's age? If possible attach all the investigations (scan, blood investigations) or mention what all investigations done and its reports? Does your wife having normal menstrual periods? Does she has painful menstruation? Do you have normal sexual life, coital frequency? or any coital problems? Do you have any ejaculatory or erectile dysfunction? Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What does my semen analysis readings indicates? 2 hours later
Thank you doctor. Why do we need to wait if we are planning for IUI. Is it due to the sperm count or infection? How many days would it take for infection to subside. We were married 3 years back and my wife's age is 28. What is the normal range for volume of ejaculation.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Your counts are normal, except for infection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the follow up question. You need to wait because of infection, once that is cleared the motility of sperms will improve. But, if the ovulation induction is already done and the ovulation has occurred then there is no need to wait for IUI (as the present motility and counts are ok for doing IUI).. As such there is no problem with your sperm count, it is absolutely normal. How many days would it take for infection to subside? usually it will take 5 to 7days. What is the normal range for volume of ejaculation? 1.5 to 2 ml is the normal volume. Wish you good health. Regards, Dr Arif