What does my blood test report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Hi, I haven’t had my period in a long time. I’m not sure when the last one was but there definitely hasn’t been one this year, so at least nine months. I had a blood test done which I will upload the results. The seem to be pointing to menopause which obviously I am very young but not sure what else could cause these results and lack of period. Could you let me know your thoughts.I have attached the blood test results
Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More investigations required

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
I have reviewed the report.
The levels of the hormones measured are not in the range of menopause, so menopause is unlikely.
However, the menopause state is confirmed by serum FSH levels.
When FSH levels are more than 20 IU/L , then it indicates menopause.
Other causes of delayed or absent periods can be polycystic ovarian disease, increased cortisol levels, hypothyroidism.
I will suggest you to get ultrasound, serum FSH, Cortisol, and thyroid hormone levels done to confirm the diagnosis and get further treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Follow-up: What does my blood test report indicate? 38 minutes later
Hi, my cortisol and thyroid levels are all normal range. I thought with PCOS my testosterone would be elevated? Looking at the results I sent you, the progesterone is less than 0.6 which only falls into the post menopausal range? Also the estradiol is 137 which only sits in the range for post menopausal or follicular phase which I assume I can't be in that phase if I haven't had a period in a long time?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prolonged anovulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
State of menopause is not confirmed by progesterone and estradiol levels.
These two can be low when one is having prolonged anovulation, which can lead to prolonged amenorrhea.
Testosterone is not always elevated in PCOS.

I will suggest you to get at least FSH levels done to confirm the diagnosis.
It will help to determine whether further tests are required or not.
Dr Deepti Verma