What does low grade recurrent fever indicate?

I have a low grade fever that comes and goes, been going on for over a month. My neck glands are swollen as well.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Intermittent fever with swollen neck glands can be suggestive of infections as :
1.Common cold
2. Mumps, rubella,
3.Ear infection
4.Streptococcal throat infection
6.Tuberculosis etc.

You require immediate medical attention as it is important to examine the node size,texture,temperature,whether painful or not,whether bilateral(two sides),the surrounding area,other symptoms etc.

Investigations such as:
1.Blood test
3.Lymph node Biopsy(if needed) would help in confirmation of the diagnosis.

Consider visiting a Physician earliest so that the treatment can be started immediately.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: What does low grade recurrent fever indicate? 15 hours later
I have not know the common cold to last over month. I have been to the doctors 3 times no diagnosis yet. You answers are very common.
I tested negative for all. I was given an extensive EP panel, don't have mono.
(I have gone threw 2 round of antibiotic and steroids)

CBC normal. Chest XRay Stable.

Both sides are swollen. At times they hurt because they become so tender. Doctors last exam did note that my major lymph are swollen (neck, back of neck, under arms and groin area.)

I need some answers other then the General Answers, to symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

Swollen and tender lymph nodes along with fever definitely indicate some infection.

Consider getting a PPD test done to rule out Tuberculosis, often patients present with fever and swollen lymph nodes with normal tests and responds well to Anti TB therapy.

Other than that a Lymph node Biopsy will help in ruling out the cause as Lymphoma,Leukemia etc.

Since I am not examining you clinically it is difficult to give a confirmatory diagnosis.

Wishing you speedy recovery!
Follow-up: What does low grade recurrent fever indicate? 4 hours later
"Lymphoma,Leukemia etc." What is etc. ?

Also doesn't Tuberculosis show in chest xray?

What infection do you know that last longer then a month?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 minutes later

Thanks again.

Not many times Tuberculosis show up in the Chest X XXXXXXX and presents with low grade fever and painful lymph nodes. The right way to check for TB is Sputum culture or sputum analysis.

There are other ways TB can present may not be only lung TB. In your case Lymph Node TB. Hence a lymph node biopsy is asked in my earlier reply. Blood culture is another way of testing suspected germs.

There are many infections that remain in the human body over a month. Low grade bacterial infections, Fungal infections, Zoonotic diseases ( spread by insects), air borne and milk borne too.

Lymphoma,leukemia and etc means any inflammation that has metastatized to a group of lymph nodes such as viral infection by HIV. Any infection if left untreated can go on for month just because the bodily defences are acting on them.

If an Infectious disease specialist are rules out infections, then medications and autoimmune diseases come into picture. An Immunologist would be a better person to rule them out.

Hope it helps!