What does 'lazy heart muscle' mean?

My doctor thinks I have a lazy heart muscle what does this mean?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Symptoms are suggestive of a failing heart Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Its a standard practice for the doctors to use words and phrases which are easily understood by the laymen patients, while describing their medical condition. Your medical conditions and the symptoms suggest that your heart muscles have been affected as a complication of hypertension and diabetes. The heart is probably failing and thereby, unable to pump adequate blood to the body organs. An underlying coronary artery disease is also a strong possibility and therefore needs to be evaluated at the earliest. Similar symptoms are also seen in significant kidneys' failure, an inevitable complication of diabetes. Also, an underlying and undetected thyroid problem cannot be ruled out. Hence, a thyroid function test is also recommended, apart from Hemoglobin level to see for evidence of anemia, if any. Thyroid problem and anemia are common in diabetes, and may be partly responsible for lethargy + lack of energy. Your treating doctor is the BST JUDGE. I am sure that he has prescribed an ideal treatment, taking ALL factors into active consideration. On your part, regular/timely medication, strict observation of advised precautions, strict control of blood pressure and blood sugar, will add to benefits of medications. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal