What does large painful and swollen boil on thighs indicate?

I had a large boil on my upper thigh and it just stayed there, painful and swollen, for a few days... but I guess I hit it on something last night because now it's bright red and full of blood. I'm worried it's going to spread. What can I do?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: unlikely to spread Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Usually , in persons with a competent immune system, the infection does not spread to adjacent tissue. If the area is still swollen or there is still fluid inside then the application of a warm compress would help to encourage drainage. It increases blood flow to the area which then allows the area to drain. It also helps with the associated pain. Normally the definitive treatment, is incision and drainage of the area to remove any infected aspects. The reason for this is to reduce the chance of it recurring after it drains. This is then followed by a course of antibiotics.This drainage and subsequent treatment is the best course of action. If this is not an option at this time then you may want to use the compress mentioned along with the following: (1) apply antibiotic ointment to the area. Most antibiotic ointments are available over the counter (2)clean the area with an antiseptic solution such as bethadine. This should be done at least twice daily. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions