What does "lIVER SHOWS enlarged 19 cm in cc span grade3 fatty changes" mean in an ultra sound report?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Sir i am a 49 yr old male ,suffering fron DM2 AND Dyslipedimia.I got my ultra sound done with impression Hepatomegaly with fatty changes.lIVER SHOWS enlarged 19 cm in cc span grade3 fatty changes.CBD PV NOT DILUTED,aorta/ioc normal,gall bladder distended with anechoic content.serum cholestrol 143,AST 24,ALT 21.URINE NORMAL.wat does it mean? regards
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Your ultrasound scan says you have fat deposition in your liver which has caused the liver to enlarge ( hepatomegaly). But fat deposition has not damaged the liver (as indicated by normal ALT and AST). Other findings are normal. The fatty liver you have is due to T2DM and Dyslipidemia. If you are obese, then that also will contribute to it. So the treatment is weight reduction if obese and control of blood glucose and cholesetrol. If you have the habit of drinking alcohol, you need to quit that also. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What does "lIVER SHOWS enlarged 19 cm in cc span grade3 fatty changes" mean in an ultra sound report? 13 hours later
Dear Doc Thnx. I am also attaching my USG and blood reports. If it adds to your further advise. I am also a NON DRINKER,NON SMOKER.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, I went through your reports. As mentioned earlier, you have fatty liver which might be due to T2DM and dyslipidemia. Control of blood glucose and cholesterol is all that is needed and yes weight reduction is also important if you are obese. Good that you do not drink as alcohol intake also causes fatty liver. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini