Ask a Urologist   »  

What does increased number of WBCs in urine indicate ?

I wonder if you can help me ? I have constistently showed in urine tests while blood cells; I have recently had problems with back pain and urinating; I am a woman who suffers from analphlaxis which was caused by long term prescirbing of beta blockers which means that my body can no longer produce the enzyme which protected me from allergis also I have high cholestorol (7.6). I had my gall bladder removed a year ago and a liver biopsy dont at the same time I had suffered unbeknown to me from the gallbladder for a very long time around 10 years prior to it being removed (I was very lucky to survive that) anyway the biopsy showed that I had developed non-alcolohic fatty liver disease and high cholestorol which they are trying to treat with statins I can only take tiny amounts of medication and suffer even on those levels - the consistent white blood cell count in my urine is high I was informed by the A & E department and others of this but my GP has failed to inform me of this insting my results were normal and showing no sign of infection what should I do ?

Could you please try to help me Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Increased number of WBCs in urine is a sign of infection in the urinary tract .Back pain and burning urination (if any) do support the same.

The best test to confirm the same is urine culture and sensitivity test.Here even when the infection is mild and sub-clinical ( no symptoms) ,the bacteria causing the infection and the antibiotics its sensitive for is determined.

Hence i would ask you to go for the urine culture and sensitivity test to confirm the infection in urinary tract.

I do not see any other cause for increased WBC in the urine related to past.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.