What does increased SGPT and GGT indicate?

Apr 2014

Hello Doctor, This query is for my mother who has recently had a complete hysterectomy. Her Liver function test after the operation as on 21st December 2013 shows the following result: SGPT(ALT)-serum : 88 U/l SGOT(AST)-serum: 53 U/l Alkaline Phosphate-serum: 134 U/l S.G.G.T: 141 U/l Another liver function test was done as on 15th February 2014, the test results are as follows: SGPT(ALT)-serum: 162 U/l SGOT(ALT)-serum: 86 U/l S.Globulin: 2.7 g/dl S.G.G.T: 112 U/l Also her sonography reports before the hysterectomy showed an enlarged and fatty liver and fat deposit in the gall bladder. It would be of great help if you tell me why the above serums are so high and not decreasing even after maintaining a light diet, the necessary precautions and how to have a healthy liver. Also , let me know if any clinical treatment is required . Thank you , XXXXXXX here. :) Have a nice day !
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: She has non alcohol fatty liver disease. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Increased SGPT,GGT indicates liver injury.It is important to know her lipid profile. Most probably she is suffering from non alcohol fatty liver disease. Deposited fat is causing injury to liver cells. She need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,RFT,Lipid profile,Viral markers.Further investigations can be done if needed. She can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. She may also need hypolipidemic drugs if lipid profile is altered. Fatty liver is a reversible stage and it can be reversed by changing life style and diet. She should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc. You should avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and fatty food and should take lot of vegetables and fruits in her diet. She will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What does increased SGPT and GGT indicate? 1 hour later
My query was very well answered , thank you a lot for it . We will get further diagnosis done as soon as possible. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You are most welcome. Get well soon. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX