What does enlarged parathyroid indicate in an ultrasound?

An ultrasound showed that my parathyroid is enlarged but my blood work came back normal. What does this mean?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Parathyroid hyperplasia. Detailed Answer: dear user Hi! enlarged parathyroid means hyperplasia of the gland. it is usually functionally active as well. there can be raised PTH causing high serum calcium low phosphorus. if you say your reports are normal then it can be just secondary to low calcium or vitamin D intake. can you send me your blood reports for exact interpretation. Regards!