What does dry mouth and difficulty in swallowing indicate?
User rating for this question
Hello Doctor i had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex with a prostitute when i was in amsterdam on 6th january. after 4 days i had a small painless mouth ulcer on my lower lip and it disappeared in a week.and soon i started to develop mouth dryness and mouth sour i.e feeling hard to swallow but non painful and a bit of breathing problem t.i am really scared after i saw that these might be symptoms of acute hiv . Do you think i might have hiv?. and should i be worried regarding this symptoms.?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Direct Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome and thanks for asking There is no word like acute HIV , it takes some time to develop. You should get investigations done like HIV rapid card test and complete blood counts. It can be Pharyngitis along with laryngitis as you are having difficulty in breathing. Is there any change in your voice ? If a person is having B complex deficiency and his mouth is irritated , he can develop these kind of lesions due to friction. Do saline and betadine mouth gargles , take a course of antibiotics along with B complex.Avoid cold drinks , beverages and alcohol.Drink hot milk. If it doesn't subside within a week , go to an ENT specialist so that he can examine it and reach the final diagnosis. Difficulty in breathing can be a psychological factor also , mere thinking that you have developed HIV can give rise to mental trauma so just relax. Best wishes Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: What does dry mouth and difficulty in swallowing indicate? 31 hours later
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Brief Answer: direct answer Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome once again There is a ''window period '' for HIV , in this period person will not show positive result as the development of antibodies depends upon the immunity of an individual or CD4 counts.One has to wait for 2-8 weeks till the sample shows positive results. You said you developed sore 4 days after the contact so it can not be due to HIV so soon.Test done at 6, 12 and 24 weeks after the exposure gives positive results. So you don't have to worry about it.
People also viewed
- Playing tennis with ruptured eardrum
- Heavy bleeding upt weakly positive sonography normal treatment suggestion
- Dry mouth and difficulty swallowing
- Perferated eardrum left untreated
- Pressure on eardrum while singing
- Ponding of eardrum when eating
- Have itchy bumps in vagina had protected sex herpes
- What causes difficulty swallowing
- Dry mouth difficulty swallowing headache salty taste in mouth reasons
- Have pcos used metrofin or primolut pregnant now
- Tubal during c-section clear ovulation discharge chances of pregnancy
- What are the symptoms of difficulty swallowing?
- What does dry mouth and difficulty in swallowing indicate
- Light periods light headed nauseous burping negative pregnancy tests treatment
- Pins and needles eardrum