What does dark stools and pain in lower abdomen mean?

It started with lower back pain about two weeks ago, then the pain was in my groin area, so intense I felt sick, then it moved to my left lower above hip area and it feels like a burning cramp and now I have dark, hard stools. I went to my gynacologist as I had a history of ovarian cysts and that was ruled out. I have had my gall bladder removed and I have diverticulitis. I am also on 40 milligrams a day of Nexium. Then pain is not as intense now, but very annoying. I'm more concerned with the dark stool.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 45 minutes later

Thanks for query.

Dark stools indicates there is presence of blood in it.At times when there is some form of ulceration in intestine,it leads to bleeding and impart black color to stool.The color is dark means it is coming from higher up,not from local area.

Pain in lower abdomen along with black stool suggests some infective problem with your intestine.

It is suggested that you please visit your doctor.

You should go for stool test,ultrasound abdomen and blood counts to have more information and probable diagnosis about your problem.

You are already taking Nexium 40 for acid peptic disease.There are chances of some ulcers in your stomach or intestine because of this also.Which also can bleed and impart black color to stool.

Take light diet,avoid fried and heavy foods,have plenty of liquids and avoid straining at stool.

You can take anti spasmodic tablets for pain in mean while.Take rest and avoid too much of physical strain.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.