What does "bony protrusion right sternoclavicular area' mean?

I have a bony protrusion right sternoclavicular area. My doctor said no action needs to be taken. I have a history of bilateral carotid body tumors as a teen with subsequent surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I have had CA thyroid within past 6 yrs with removal of thyroid and parathyroid. CA of colon with resection and chemo therapy about 8 yrs ago. I do have another paraganglioma in right neck area which is inoperable because of location. Just really curious if this enlargement of clavicle area could have a tumor growing behind it. I feel I need further x-ray done. Have had MRSA from left hip replacement a few years ago which is still reoccuring. Am having debredment of site in a few weeks and perhaps remove of hip prosthesis. What do you think.....I know I have lots of things going on. I am 69 yrs. Thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need an exact diagnose... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting your query here. Basing on what you refer I think that need an exact diagnose(to determine the cause of your disease). To determine the diagnose you need a Sternoclavicular X-ray. If the result of X-ray doesn't give enough information for the diagnose you need a Sternoclavicular PET Scan (Positron emission tomography). The second test will show the cause of bone disease. The results will show if you have a bone tumor. Ask me for any doubts. Regards, Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: What does "bony protrusion right sternoclavicular area' mean? 2 hours later
I did have a right clavicle x-ray which showed prominence of superior distal clavicle at muscle insertion of the trapeqius. ..Body of report reads mild arthrosis acromioclavicular joint. Abnormality correspinds to muscle insertion into the clavicle with cortical prominence at the muscle insertion without osteoblastic or osteolytic lesions. Is this a sufficient diagnosis? OR did I need to contact my Doctor again and discuss this further? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 7 hours later
Brief Answer: X-ray isn't sufficient... Detailed Answer: Thank you for writing back. It is important for you to contact your doctor and it is important for you to reconsider it and make the X-ray again to see the development of Acromioclavicular joint. Your medical history makes me think that X-ray isn't sufficient and you need the other tests I mentioned to you above. You should contact an orthopedist. Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: What does "bony protrusion right sternoclavicular area' mean? 14 minutes later
Thanks for your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 minute later
Brief Answer: You're welcome. Detailed Answer: Dr. Behar