What does bilateral pelvicalyceal dilatation mean ?

bilateral pelvicalyceal delatation? age 73 female 153 lbs good health
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Bilateral pelvicalyceal dilatation in kidneys means there is some urinary tract outflow obstruction most likely pressing on the bladder or lower down on the urethra.
Common causes include pelvic masses, uterine fibroids, bladder outlet obstruction, urethral calculus, bilateral ureteric calculi, nephritis, chronic constipation, etc.
All the causes need to be ruled out after proper investigations under your physician's guidance.
Renal function also needs to be monitored to see its affect on the kidneys.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.