What does an odd sensation on the left side of the body indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been experiencing an odd sensation on the left side of my body. It mostly happens at night when I'm lying down watching tv or my body is still. I don't want to say it's numb, because I'll pinch myself and I can feel pain, it's not a tingling like when your foot falls asleep, it's just an odd feeling. It happens on the left side of my face, left arm, and left leg. I've attributed it to anxiety, but I'm looking for reassurance or advice if I need to get it checked out or not. I went to a chiropractor who took xrays of my lumbar/pelvis (I was having some pain with sitting) and said everything looked normal. Also, 2 years ago I had a CT scan of my brain for smelling things that weren't really there. Everything turned out normal. Like I said, this odd feeling comes and goes. If I feel it while my body is still, I'll move my arm or leg or face, and while said body part is in motion, the odd feeling goes away. But as soon as it's still again, the odd sensation comes back. It also happens when I'm not thinking about it happening, or when I seemingly don't feel anxious or stressed about anything. Please help.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. An odd sensation on the left side of your body is suggestive of a neural cause. Many causes of such sensations are there. These include lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such odd sensations. Get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. Have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if there is any electrolyte imbalance it is corrected. Avoid stress and relax your mind. If the symptoms persist even after 2 weeks or worsen consider visiting a Physician for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What does an odd sensation on the left side of the body indicate? 5 minutes later
Ok. I already have hypothyroidism - so maybe my levels are off? Would a prenatal vitamin contain B12? Because I take that daily just as a multivitamin. I'm not pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: need higher dose. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes it can be due to thyroid imbalance. Prenatal vitamin supplement may not have adequate dose of Vitamin B12. You need at least 1500 mcg of supplementation daily for 2 weeks. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What does an odd sensation on the left side of the body indicate? 1 hour later
Ok, another question: Could this sensation be caused by a spinal tumor? I've been to the chiropractor for the last couple of days, and he did xrays of my lower back and pelvis. He saw that I needed adjustments, but he never mentioned anything about tumors or growths. Should I be worried? The middle of my back is especially tender today after ultrasound therapy and adjustments yesterday and today.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Not due to spinal tumor. Detailed Answer: Hello. These sensations are not related to any spinal tumor. Doing adjustments of the lower spine will not help in reducing these sensations. An MRI scan will help in ruling out any such growth. Regards.
Follow-up: What does an odd sensation on the left side of the body indicate? 12 minutes later
So based on these sensations, do I need an MRI? I'm pretty worried now, based on your last answer. Wouldn't the xrays have seen anything suspicious?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to rush for nRI. Detailed Answer: X-rays cant detect a soft tissue mass or abnormality. But the symptoms are not related to a pathology related to spine. No need to rush for MRI scan. Do take Vitamin B 12 supplements for 2 weeks get your thyroid hormone levels evaluated and consult a neurologist if the problem persists. Regards.