What does "absence of fetal cardiac activity" mean in an ultrasound?

Mar 2013
I am 42 yrs old and am having hypothyroide and my tsh is 1.03.Recently I got pregnant.My LMP was 25th Nov 2013.On 21st of XXXXXXX 2014,I had a transvaginal utrasound and it showed Yolk Sac 5.8 mm,Fetal pole present .CRL 5.5mm corresponding to 6 weeks 2 days.MSD 2.4 mm corresp to 7 weeks.Subchlorionic collection not seen .Decidual reaction adequate.Amniotic volume normal etc.But there is absence of fetal cardiac activity .AM i still pregnanat.No other pain or problem persist.Help me what to do ,follow up USG after one week is recommended by my pathologist
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: MISSED MISCARRIAGE LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Your TSH value is in normal range, so please do not worry. As per your LMP, you are 8 weeks plus. Also, at this time , cardiac activity should be clearly seen. A missed miscarriage is defined as absence of cardiac activity when the CRL is more than 7 mm. If your cycles were not regular, it is possible that you had slightly delayed conception. As such, the prognosis of this pregnancy does not seem to be good, as cardiac activity is absent. For the benefit of doubt, you can wait and watch. Avoid stress, intercourse and have a repeat ultrasound scan after one week. The scan should be done transvaginally. If repeat scan also fails to detect a heartbeat, then pregnancy should be terminated. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.