What does a paiful lump behind the ears indicate?

ENT Specialist
Question
My son has 3 chick pea sized lumps behind his ear and there's been no impact. They run north to south and are somewhat painful to the touch. They seem like swollen glands in my estimation but I don't know if there are glands or lymph nodes in that area. They are somewhat "squishy" when you press them.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: lymph nodes Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, You are right they are lymph nodes. Nothing to worry , they are frequently enlarged. These lymph nodes behind the ear drain the scalp. Any small infections in the scalp area can lead to their enlargement. You can ignore them. Do not keep touching them or pressing them. Frequent pressing can result in pain. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.

Follow-up: What does a paiful lump behind the ears indicate? 46 minutes later
Thank you. Never heard about a scalp infection before. Is there anything that an prevent that? Is it below that scalp or a surface infection?

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: saw the photograph just now. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry but i saw the photograph just now. The lymph nodes are big and require evaluation. They are enlarged due to infection arising in the scalp area most commonly due to folliculitis - infection of the hair follicle. Many times in spite of the best effort we are unable to trace any source of infection. Please make a doctor look carefully at his scalp to locate the source. Nothing to worry. He may require a course of antibiotics if the condition does not settle. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.

Follow-up: What does a paiful lump behind the ears indicate? 2 days later
I took him to the clinic on Friday and the gave him an anti-biotic thinking its maybe an infection or possibly Mononucleosis. They drew blood to test for various things and we should hear results by tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: most welcome. Detailed Answer: get well soon.