What does a lump near tail bone indicate?

Hi there, Attached is the biopsy report (Biopsy.pdf) of my mother. She was detected with lump near tail bone and underwent a surgery (see surgery.pdf for summary) to remove it. Based on the report can you please help me answer the following questions: 1) What does the biposy report suggest? Can you please explain in layman terms 2) What is the stage of disease? 3) What should be the next steps in the line of treatment?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. I have gone through the report and the discharge summary you have attached. 1) Biopsy report says that the mass your mother had is a cancer mass and could have originated in rectum. The type of cells in the cancer suggest it could be from the rectal glands. 2) Since it has spread to distant parts I consider it to be in 4th stage, 5th being final. 3) Chemotherapy or radiotherapy has to be planned. Consult Oncologist for the same. regards,