What does a lump in the back throat indicate?

ENT Specialist
It feels like I have a lump in the back of my throat. When I eat it seems like the food is slowly going down my esophagus.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Proton pump inhibitor and antacid use is recommend Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There can be various causes of feeling of lump in throat. Reflux is the most common cause of such a symptom while pharyngitis, tonsillitis and anaemia are other common causes of this problem. Post nasal drip and allergies are few other causes for this. Other less common causes are any benign or malignant masses in the pharynx or upper esophagus. Please use a proton pump inhibitor for few days and avoid spicy and oily food along with excessive tea, coffee and alcohol. In case the problem does not resolve, please see an ENT and get your throat examined. You may need to undergo few tests like hemoglobin estimation and peripheral blood film. An endoscopy may be required if your doctor thinks so. Feel free to ask another query. Regards