What does a dark spot on stool indicate?
User rating for this question
Today and a few days ago I noticed a dark spot on my poop. It was about the size of a pea. The rest of my poop appeared normal. I eat XXXXXXX cereal with dried cranberries and recently have started eating a little black licorice. I am panicked about this. No family history of colon cancer. I am 59 and had a colonoscopy 12 years ago that came out clean. Help?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This's not typical of cancer of the colon Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about black spot in your stool that seems to have raised great fear and anxiety about possible cancer of the colon. I hope you would be able to relax while we look into this. Cancer of the colon would not preferably show up with a black spot that is so distinct and limited to just part of the stool. It is true that blood has a black color in stool but this is not the exact scenario with blood that originates from the colon. Blood from the colon would preferentially have a red color because it has not had enough time to get digested and transformed into blood the gut enzymes. Even if this were to be blood, it would not be coming from the colon. Also, you are consuming a black product that most probably explains the origin of this black pea shaped size spot on your stools. However, the last colonoscopy was 12years ago meaning the second one is long over due. It would be a great idea to get it done at this time so as to help you with the exact nature of this black spot and screen for colon cancer as well. Chances are more that this is related to the black licorice than to a cancer in the colon. I hope this addresses your query fully. If you have more related questions, feel free to ask me and I will gladly address them. I wish you the bes of health and thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
People also viewed
- Drinking alcohol with vertigo
- Dry mouthheadachesbody aches and shortness of breath
- What indicated blak stool
- What does a dark spot on stool indicate
- Stomach ache when breathing in kids
- Grey stools indicate what
- Is dark stool an indication for blood in stool
- C5 nerve root neck ache shortness breathing
- Duromine alcohol racing heart
- Can you drink alcohol while taking potassium
- Dark brown spots in stool
- Prk surgery drinking alcohol
- Lowered alcohol tolerance due to pregnancy
- Short of breath and muscles ach
- Luminous yellow urine aching breasts