What does MRI report taken after lower limb pain suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Explanation and history 1. I had pain in my right lower limb Since April’06. 2. I had taken Acupuncture, Acupressure & root Compression (Trackation), route block therapy in same 2006 but not found any proper relief. 3. I went to CIIMS Nagpur 14th Nov’06 for the routine check up to Dr. Lokendra Singh--MS( Neuro). He planned for surgery & operation performed : L 4 – L5 lumber cord compression with L4-L5 disc Prolapse. Procedure & Findings : Under GA prone position given, cleaning and drapping done. Vertical midline incision from L 2 to S 1 level lamina is exposed L 4 – l 5 laminectomy done. L 4 - L 5 disc gone under the antligament. Disc removed. Adequate decompression done. Complete haemostasis achieved. w/c in layers, no drain kept. 4. After few days (7-8 days) unbearable pain started & after a 10 days Dr. XXXXXXX Sahni- MS (Ortho) found discitis developed in operated area ( Attached MRI Report name as “2007”) & again I was admitted at CIIMS Nagpur for 20- 25 days & course of antibiotics given in these period & also given ozone therapy. After a month period pain reduced substantially. 5. With slow movements I restarted my life but every year I had flow of pain & after the bed rest of week period along with NSAIDs I came to normal life. 6. Every year same problem of pain is repeating. 7. But in the mid of Oct’13 a sudden pain started in my right thai . It started from testicular & moved till thai area. I had taken NSAIDs along with course of Steroids ( Two – three times in 3 month period). Now I have severe pain while getting up after sleep, coughing, sitting on driving seat, sitting on comodde. 8. I consult to Surgeon ( regarding testicular pain ), MS(Ortho) & Neuro surgeon also. They asked me to get MRI again. Report is attached (name as 2013). 9. Now I am taking physio therapy & bed rest. Because of it I lost my job (as my job was of travelling mostly). Please advice me what to do now. Few doctors are suggesting for re-operation, Few are suggesting to search office job & avoid travelling.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 2 days later
Brief Answer: Regarding your preoperative MRI scan Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query in detail. In your history you have not mention any thing about your preoperative MRI scan. You have given a history of operation then doing MRI scan, how can a surgeon operate on spine without getting an MRI scan done. You have mentioned that your operation was done in 2006 but your MRI scan was done in 2007. If you have missed your MRI scan of preoperative period please upload it. Your post operative MRI scan suggest that you have discitis of L4-L5 and annular tear of L3-L4. Similarly your 2013 MRI scan show multiple discs protrusions. This means you have not done your physiotherapy after discussing your doctor who operated you for the first time. Physiotherapy is as important as operation. My friend, outcome of discectomy is not always good. It varies from person to person. Now you should continue your physiotherapy. You have to get ready for changing your office job & avoid travelling. Since the pain may get worse with the job and travelling until surgery is done. If possible you should be ready for re-operation. I think the previous operation was not successful in your case. I think you have gotten your answer. Let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.