What do the results of urine tests done for joint pain mean?

I my results from the urine test and I would like to know what this means. Please, see below: Urine Red Blood Cells 2-5, Urine Epithelial Cells 10-25 Squamous epithelial, Urine Bacteria Rare , and Urine Yeast Few.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 54 minutes later

Before I write my answer here, let me tell you that any attempt to decipher the results of labs without the complaints of the person, why were these tests done, is not going to be specific.

Here is the interpretation of the urine test you had

1.Red blood cells 2 to 5:these cells indicate hematuria(blood in urine) if cell count is more than 3.

This may be suggestive of a urinary tract or kidney pathology.

2. Urine epithelial cells 10-25 cells:Presence of squamous epithelial cells is generally considered insignificant , but if it is present in larger nos, it indicates contamination of the urine sample at the time of collection .

3.Urine bacteria: if it is present indicates an infection.

4.Urine Yeast few:is also insignificant, if it were plenty, it indicates an infection

Hope I answered your query, I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: What do the results of urine tests done for joint pain mean? 8 hours later
Thanks for your answers. The problem that I have is pain in my joints. It was the reson for these tests. Could you please give me more specific answers.
- Are the values in the point #2 normal? Is that ok to have Urine epithelial cells 10-25 cells?
- Urine Bacteria Rare. What does this mean? Do I have an infection?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I would want to say that joint pain may be due to many conditions related to systemic disorders involving multiple organs of the body that include kidneys and urinary tract.A urine analysis is considered as a routine investigation and is done in all cases.

Finding 10 to 25 "squamous " epithelial cells is not that worry some to me ,as they indicate contamination of the specimen while collection of urine .Hence I would suggest a repeat urine analysis to look for similar changes.

Urine bacteria indicate infection, if they are more in number then a culture and sensitivity test is done .Since the report reads "urine bacteria RARE" in your case, it suggests there is no infection

Hence from the reports I do not see chances of a urine infection, but prefer to repeat the test again and get an opinion from your General Physician with an examination. Meantime increase water intake, cranberry juice. Empty bladder as often as possible.

Wish you good health.