What do fasciculations in the calf muscles indicate?

Nov 2013

Hi I am concerned about some fascerlations that developed in both my calves about 2-3 months ago and to this today still persist, Sometimes they settle down for a while and then they always come back. I have had nerve conduction tests done (twice) and they came back all ok. I have ruled out MS with head and spine scans. I have had all the blood work done and nothing at all can be found in the all blood tests I have had done. I don't know what to do from here as my GP has no suggestions. I was thinking if it was some sort of autoimmune thing going on that my body is attacking my nerves then perhaps I should try a couple of days of prendisone and if the fascerlations were to stop perhaps that might prove it could be autoimune related, do u think that is work trying? I am concerned that the nerves are being destroyed and wonder how long can I have these fascerlations before something serious develops such as loosing feeling / movement in my legs?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be benign fasciculation syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about your symptoms of fasciculations in the calf muscles, as nerve conduction studies (done twice) are normal. I am sure EMG (electromyography) was also done along with nerve conduction studies to rule out ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). You have already excluded other brain and spine diseases, including MS, by doing MRI of brain and spine, which were normal. In this scenario, the most probable diagnosis in your case is benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS). BFS, as the name suggests, is not a serious condition, and improves on own over a period of time. In my opinion, you should not start steroids, until an autoimmune disease is confirmed, as steroids may be associated with side effects. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: What do fasciculations in the calf muscles indicate? 15 hours later
hi don't believe my nero did an EMG, what is this exactly?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: EMG details are below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. In EMG, a needle is inserted in various muscles, and we look for muscle activity on a computer screen. This study gives information about diseases such as muscle disease, motor neurone disease (ALS), etc. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)